Monday, August 9, 2010

Nolen Starts School

I know it was just yesterday that I took Craig to kindergarten for his first day of school. Wow, where does the time go. That was 27 years ago. He is now 32 years old, been married for 7 years and has 2 boys of his own.
Oh, the memories that have been made since he started school at West Elememtary. He went there seven years. Just a few memories: His first year he took my chocolate chip cookies to his teacher for Christmas. As the years went on we kept up the tradition. I didn't only make them for his present teacher but the ones from the years before. This was also with Kristin's teachers. So by the time they were in the 6th grade, I was making quite a few batches of cookies. When I would walk through the front door, if Mr. Stokes (the principal) was anywhere nearby, would spot that yellow tupperware bowl I always carried them in (By the way still have it) & he would always grab a few out before I made it to the classroom. Other memories are the school plays that are always enjoyable to watch. The friends he made and still have today from elementary school. One other time that really stands out, is: I would go eat lunch with him quite often. One time, and he was probably in the 5th grade, I had gone to eat with him. As I was about to leave, he just automatically reached up and kissed me. The boys sitting around him teased him and said. "I can't believe you still kiss your mother" Well, that didn't phase him and I'm so proud that he still kisses and hugs me anytime he is around me.
  • Anyone that has kids starting school, hang on to those precious memories. Now Nolen is starting school. His first full day of kindergarten is today. I know he is going to do great in school. He is already so smart, I just hope the teachers can keep up with him. Craig & Jamie, you hang on to every single moment that you can, because it goes way too fast. Love you Nolen and Grandma is so proud of you. Before you know it I'll be going to your graduation from High School.

1 comment:

JessicaBates said...

Great post Aunt Becky! That kindergarten picture of Craig is too precious. Is that Craig Junior below that or what?! And if I were a teacher and I saw you coming with those cookies, I'd probably tackle you for them! Especially since I know how delicious they are. I can't believe Nolen is already starting school! Where does the time go?